Help people manage and cope with their chronic conditions. ADSD has three special projects aimed at helping people with long term, chronic illnesses and their caregivers lead healthier lives. As a volunteer you can help people access these programs through marketing, outreach and a one-on-one interaction.
Chronic Disease Self-Management Program (CDSMP)
Is a workshop given two and half hours a week for six weeks in community settings such as senior centers, churches, libraries and hospitals.
Subjects covered include:
1. Techniques to deal with problems such as frustration, fatigue, pain and depression
2. Appropriate exercise for maintaining and improving strength, flexibility and endurance
3. Appropriate use of medications
4. Communicating effectively with family, friends and health professionals
6. How to evaluate new treatments.
Medicare’s “Extra Help” with Prescription Drug Costs (also known as Low Income Subsidy-LIS)
Assists individuals and couples with lower incomes and moderate resources with their Medicare Part D prescription drug costs. This includes help with monthly premiums, deductibles and co-pays.
Alzheimer’s Disease Support Service Program (CarePro, Care Partners Reaching Out)
This program offers skills training to help lower emotional distress and to increase the coping strategies and assisting skills among caregivers. The caregivers must be unpaid and assisting the patient for a minimum of four hours a day.
General Requirements for the Special Projects Volunteers:
In addition to the general requirements for all ADSD Volunteers, Special Projects Volunteers must:
- Complete a formal interview and selection process.
- Complete 8 hours of basic training. (An additional 4 hours of training required for MIPPA)
- Posses a valid driver’s license or have reliable transportation.
- Basic computer knowledge, including internet access.
- Assist with outreach to a wide variety of activities and events such as health fairs, conferences, literature distribution, etc.
Before applying to be a Volunteer for Special Projects, please read the full Special Projects Volunteer Position Description.
Are you a current or past volunteer? We would like to hear about your experience! Email us your comments or suggestions.